Friday, January 21, 2011

Travels On A Steel Shoreline

I'm riding down the steel shoreline on a rusted steed
My only companions are the ghosts that populate the ocean
An artificial sun rises daily
Spitting in the face of a bronze horizon
Right now a zephyr is bearing down on me with gentle ferocity
I inhale it while my steed dodges the crest of a titanic wave
And then everything is quiet

It's night, so I look up at the fictitious constellations which colonize the sky
And I know that each glinting light
Is just a photograph of a better time in a better place
A snapshot in the land of the blind
Faded and worn, but still cloaked in the sepia tones of mournful nostalgia

Day breaks again, crimson streaks marring a permanently altered skyline
My steed brings me through a graveyard of iron and glass
A mausoleum constructed on a monolithic scale
From shards of glass and crumbled pillars of cement
If I were a holy man, this would be worthy of worship

The sunset is beautiful, a magnolia erupting in the midst of a tangerine pool
Azure waves rippling across the pomegranate backdrop of the evening
The seductive tendrils of sleep ensnare me with my foot on the gas pedal

The crashing waves of time mock the impermanence of lines drawn in the sand
Blossoming into the harvested expanses of the great unknown
Burning rubber until I'm gone