Thursday, September 1, 2011

The King Of Lonely

I was standing beneath a lamppost
Cloaked in its flickering Grand Marnier light
Looking with longing at a hamlet hidden by barbed wire
And willow trees
And the stars' fire compelled me to throw
My whispers to the breeze
With an intricate release
Reciting a poem that didn't exist to a soft wind
While I was lost in thoughts that
Tossed and turned from tonic to toxin
The shadows I've boxed left me boxed in
And I clutched the rusted pillar for support
Its emerald column jaundiced by artificial light
Its intrusion impolite
But a melancholy descends upon me
An invader in the night
The city lights in the distance
All embers in the night sky
Sprites lie in glass bottles burning from their bare pedestals
While I slump on my asphalt throne of snared ventricles
Heart made of stone in a garden of bones
Guarding my own sentiments
Then baring them broken with words that wouldn't be heard spoken
An elegy for love, I recite and then blow a kiss
Then walk slowly into the night, lord of my loneliness
Low as this throne cloaked by the smoke and mist