Monday, April 25, 2011

Honesty in Godlessness

I was a devout man once. My religious convictions were absolute, and I was assured in my blind faith. God appeared before me as a singular image, not the patriarchal figure of religious lore, but the night sky, an image of infinity, wherein could be found divinity. The infinite promise of a black sea that washed over my devoted worship assured me of a higher power, of a greater purpose. I saved this image, locked it away in a glass safe, confident in my eternal convictions. But as time passed, the pictures began to fade, began to wrinkle at the edges with the effort of preservation. These polaroids of God adopted the amber hues of reminiscence, the sepia tinge of antiquity, exposed to sunlight for too long. Now the divine portraits are faded beyond recognition. Where I once saw a benevolent figure and the celestial kingdom it inhabited, I see only a million stars, winking in perpetual flux and a dark sky as a backdrop of pedestrian majesty. My faith has been eroded, and I am now stumbling hunting for these pictures of divinity. As the photographs blanch, I find myself forced to confront the desertion of my faith. I'm forced to admit honesty in godlessness.